Cycle Station Albury holds a prominent place - right at the train station's doorsteps! We talked to Jacob Wolki (owner) about e-bikes and shop dogs...
What made you want to open a bike store? And to then move into e-bikes?
My family was in the record industry which started declining quite rapidly around 2009. We purchased Cycle Station (then Pushys) in 2011 as we wanted to stay in retail.
None of us were involved in bikes before that!
Apart from riding as a kid, I wasn’t into bikes. My family are customer focused retailers & it historically hasn’t been important to us what we have been selling. Since then we have become very passionate about bikes, especially electric bikes. We love what we do & look forward to being in this industry for many more years!
We know you have a store pet - Ginny - as she's the star of your Instagram feed (@cyclestation) - can you share a photo?
Yep, we have heaps [of shop dogs] ! I also breed Miniature Schnauzers (@wolkischnauzers) & 2 of my dogs come to work with me. Ginny & Clyde (stud).
You've been a great advocate for e-bikes - what is your favourite moment on an e-bike?
It was a huge day out on the bikes! I’ve ridden the Buller Epic on muscle bikes (acoustic bikes? meat bikes? analog bikes?) and can confirm it was more fun on an e-bike!
Another amazing e-bike moment is watching my wife put our 1 year old son in the baby seat and a dog in each pannier bag (heads sticking out) and ride into town to do the shopping!
Can you share a favourite customer story with us?
What is the most unusual / innovative / memorable uses of an e-bike you’ve heard?
Who is the most famous person you’ve ever sold a bike to?
What do you think of the many laws and regulations surrounding bike riders in Australia? Eg having to wear a helmet all the time; NSW new laws around bike riders having to carry ID etc
I’m anti compulsory helmet laws for adults. Carrying ID is a great idea but I believe it should be free will & enforced culturally rather than making it a punishable law.
What is your favourite holiday?
I’m a 3rd generation retailing immigrant - we work all public holidays! I love Christmas.
If we could make a public holiday to celebrate KFC I’d be all over that one too! Might even close the shop for the day...
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- The future of transport – are electric bikes the answer?
- Can electric bikes replace cars? We think so!
- Celebrities embracing electric bikes
- Deepdive into the BESV TR-1 AM eMTB
- How to choose the right Dyson e-Bike for you?
- Dealer spotlight: Cycle Station Albury
- New Year, New You…New Bike?
- The many health benefits of riding an e-bike
- Dealer Spotlight - Bikemore in Perth, WA
- Bicycle Helmets: The Pros and Cons
- Electric Bikes Brisbane - new premises
- What are the health benefits of riding an e-bike?
- Come see us at Australia's first Technology & Gadget Expo
- Which electric bike is right for you?
- Come visit our stand at the following shows...