Every now and then we're going to start bringing you some insights into our dealers - and what makes them so great. First up is Urban Pedaler - our first Melbourne dealer who joined us about 2 and a half years ago. Gabe Sullens is the owner and shares the spotlight with Max - the Spoodle.
- What made you want to open a bike store?
We have a retail store with the specific vision of catering to the local community, wherever that takes us. As it develops, the road market is strong being in the Beach Road area, but I'm a big mountain biker and we have a lot of families & schools around us. This demographic drives our development. E-bikes are becoming more and more important because of all the different demographics that are becoming aware of what these bikes can do for their lifestyle; mature couples with different fitness levels riding together, professional commuters that need short distance transportation, people that would otherwise drive but are looking for convenience etc. We've opted to carry a line of Dyson because the offerings hit a very attainable price point for people entertaining an Ebike purchase, they're locally supported, and the bikes are super fun to ride. The results form test rides are impressive.
- Were you always into bikes – or did you have a former profession?
- Do you have a store pet? Can you share a photo?
Our Spoodle Max comes in fairly regularly and greets our customers, keeps the kids occupied.
- What is your favourite moment on an e-bike?
The first pedal-assist e-bike I rode was zippy and easy to ride, it instantly made me see what kind of people would like to ride one of these, other than the regular bike people that we usually think of.
- Can you share a favourite customer story with us?
Gary is a regular with our shop rides, he just took up cycling last year. He's constantly talking about how much he's learned and his fitness has improved to the point that he gained the nickname "G-train" because he can ride consistently hard enough for us all to give up trying to keep up. It's really great to see new people come to the sport and find the community, fitness, health, and competitiveness that they crave.
- Who is the most famous person you’ve ever sold a bike to?
- What do you think of the many laws and regulations surrounding bike riders in Australia? Eg having to wear a helmet all the time; NSW new laws around bike riders having to carry ID etc
- What is your favourite holiday?
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- The future of transport – are electric bikes the answer?
- Deepdive into the BESV TR-1 AM eMTB
- How to choose the right Dyson e-Bike for you?
- Road e-bikes – the game changers
- New Year, New You…New Bike?
- Bicycle Helmets: The Pros and Cons
- Dealer Spotlight: Urban Pedaler in Melbourne's Bayside area
- What are the health benefits of riding an e-bike?
- Come see us at Australia's first Technology & Gadget Expo
- Which electric bike is right for you?
- Recommended by Ride On Magazine