Leatt Corporation is renowned for the award-winning Leatt-Brace®, and we have since extended our range to include Leatt® helmets, body armor, knee braces, elbow guards, hydration systems and other cutting-edge products that are redefining protection and inspiring confidence in the world of extreme sports. Independently backed by science and testing and trusted by some of the fastest riders in the world, Leatt® protects athletes who constantly push the limits.
Currently Leatt Corp. is the global distributor of the Leatt-Brace®, a revolutionary neck protection system for all helmeted sports.
Other patents and products are in development. Research and Development takes place in Cape Town, South Africa and production is based predominantly in China.
Leatt has warehouses and a distribution office in California for the North American Market as well as a world-wide network of distributors.
The main area of focus is the prevention of neck injuries in persons wearing a crash helmet, for whatever purpose. The impetus for the project came from Dr. Leatt’s medical knowledge, his history as a motorcycle racer and the many neck injuries he has witnessed. The product not only has motor sport applications but can be used by anyone wearing a crash helmet as a form of protection.
The inventor, Dr. Chris Leatt, oversees the Research and Development, ensuring that the Leatt-Brace® remains the gold standard for neck protection.
Dr. Leatt will continue to serve as Director and will be focused on overall strategic planning and new product development. The full board is Jeffery Joseph Guzy, Dr. Christopher James Leatt and Sean Macdonald.
The Leatt story began in 2001 when Dr. Christopher Leatt witnessed the death of a fellow motorcycle rider the weekend after his son, Matthew, began riding.
Dr Leatt began research and development of a device almost immediately, driven by a passion to protect not only his son, but all riders from the effects of catastrophic neck injuries. His first patents were filed in 2003.
The revolutionary Leatt-Brace® was developed in Cape Town, South Africa and tested by BMW engineers at their facility in Munich, Germany, with first production units sold in late 2006.
OUR PRODUCT AWARDS AND HISTORY
- Motocross Action: 5/5 star product rating (2007).
- TW MX: Product of year (2009).
- RacerX: Product of the decade (2009).
- Motocross Action: Reader voted decade’s most significant product (2009).
- Dirt Bike Magazine: Product of the year (2010).
- Freeride Magazine: Eurobike innovations award (2010).
- ISPO Brandnew AwardS: Best protection at bike expo (2010).
- TW MX: GPX Pro – Product of the year (2011).
- RacerX: Neck protection readers choice award (2012).
- Leatt introduces the Fusion 2.0 Junior (now the 2.5), the company’s first product designed specifically for children that includes upper-body and neck protection, and the 5.5 Neck brace (and now the GPX 6.5 Carbon), a new generation of the classic Leatt neck brace (2013).
- Cyril Despres wins his 5th Dakar race wearing the GPX neck brace, along with Leatt body protection and a Leatt hydration system (2013).
- MRX automotive head and neck restraint system is introduced at the Performance Racing Industry trade show (2013).
- Racer X magazine rates Leatt neck braces as the Reader’s Choice for neck protection for the 5th year in a row (2013).
- Press launch of the Leatt C-Frame knee brace (2013).
- The company introduces its new knee brace designed for off-road motorcycling at the ISPO in Munich, one of the largest trade shows for outdoor, ski and performance sports gear in the world (2014).
- PPS Moto Protective Gear Company of the Year Award (2014).
- Racer X: Reader’s choice for brand of neck brace owned (2014).
- World of Mountainbike magazine in Germany awards Leatt their “Best of 2016” Award (2016).
- Eurobike Design & Innovation Awards (The Leatt DBX 5.0 Helmet and DBX Enduro Lite WP 2.0 hydration pack) (2016).
- Racer X 2016 Reader’s Choice votes Leatt #1 neck protection (2016).
- Leatt is #1 neck brace to buy in VitalMX Audience Review second year in a row (2016).
- 3.5 Neck Brace wins Eurobike and Interbike awards (2017).
- Mountain Bike Magazine 2017 Editor’s Choice Innovations Category Winner: In 2017, the Leatt DBX 3.0 helmet was one of ten winners in the Editor’s Choice Innovations category reserved for innovations that the Editors believe most shaped the mountain bike world during the prior year.
- The MTB Lab Best of 2017 Award: In 2017, The MTB Lab, an online publication on mountain bikes and outdoor gear, named the Leatt DBX 3.0 All-Mountain Helmet one of the best products for 2017.
- 2017 Crankjoy Gear of the Year: The Leatt DBX 3.0 helmet was listed by the Editors of Crankjoy, an online publication on mountain bike lifestyle and gear, as among its favorite riding gears for 2017.
- Design & Innovation 2018 Awards: In 2018, the Leatt DBX 2.0 Helmet and the Leatt DBX 3.5 Neck Brace won a Design and Innovation Award. The Design & Innovation award is granted by a jury of bicycle industry experts in recognition of the best bicycles and bicycle products.
- 2018 Powersports Business Nifty 50 Award: In 2018, the Leatt GPX 4.5 Helmet and the Leatt GPX 3.5 Neck Brace was awarded the Nifty 50 Award by the editors of Powersports Business, an industry publication that selects aftermarket products and services that they believe will help boost dealer profitability. To be eligible for the 2018 award, products had to be new or substantially improved from previous years and be ready for delivery in calendar year 2018.
- Interbike Innovation 2018 Award Winner: Leatt DBX 4.0 Helmet was named an Interbike Innovation Award winner in 2018. The Interbike International Bicycle Exposition is the largest bicycle industry trade event in North America and their awards are aimed at recognizing excellence and innovation in product, retail and advocacy.
- Design & Innovation 2019 Awards: In 2019, the Leatt DBX 4.0 Helmet won a 2019 Design & Innovation Award. The Design & Innovation award is granted by a jury of bicycle industry experts in recognition of the best bicycles and bicycle products.
- Vital MX Audience Survey: The Leatt Neck Brace was voted the number one Neck Brace to buy in the Vital MX Audience Survey (2019).
- Racer X Readers’ Choice Award: The number one worn Neck Brace (2019).
- Leatt wins Vital MX Audience Survey Award_Neck Brace (2020)
- “Gear Of The Year award” from Cross Magazine Germany: The Moto 9.5 Helmet (2020).
- Leatt Wins Race X Readers’ Choice Award_Neck Brace (2020).
- Leatt Wins at the 2021 Design & Innovation Awards (2021).
- Leatt X-Frame Hybrid Knee Brace wins Nifty 50 Award (2021).